Edible Marijuana Product Linked to Death

GRAND RAPIDS, ND: An autopsy has linked the 2014 death of a Colorado man to THC intoxication, after he consumed just one marijuana infused cookie. According to police, although the man died from trauma after jumping from a fourth floor balcony, the autopsy found marijuana intoxication as the chief contributing factor.

Due to the potency (65 mg of THC per cookie) the buyer was instructed by the Colorado state-licensed Marijuana Store to divide each cookie into six pieces and to eat one serving over a long period of time. However, the dead man’s friend, who bought the cookie, told police the decedent ate the entire cookie within one hour causing him to exhibit erratic speech and hostile behavior which lead to him jumping off the fourth floor balcony.

Since the body absorbs digested THC slower than smoked, users may not experience the full effects for some time, generally one to two hours following ingestion. This delayed reaction often results in the users consuming multiple servings over a short time. This leads to a higher THC concentration, greater intoxication and increased risk for adverse behavior due to the psychological impact.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) reports an estimated 45% of Colorado’s marijuana sales involve edible marijuana, including THC-infuse food, drink and pills. Police reported that the decedent had no known history of alcohol abuse, marijuana use,illicit drug use or mental illness.

CONCLUSION:
This tragic event proves the psychological dangers caused by the use of recreational edible marijuana from products sold in Colorado’s state-licensed stores, which opened in January 2014. Colorado and Washington became the first states to legalize recreational use of THC in 2012.

Leave a Reply